4.26.2011

sit down and read: the help

I just finished reading this book for my book club, and thought that it would do nicely for my first book post.


I'd been meaning to read this book for a while, but I just knew it was never available at my library, and I figured I'd just get around to it someday. I was excited to read it, although I am always worried that what I hear from other people about a book will affect how I go into.

But this book really delivered. Based in the 1960's, it follows the lives of some of "the help" in Jackson Mississippi and what they had to deal with during that tumultuous time. As I read the book it made me look at all aspects of my life. How I am as a mother, as a friend, as a human being. Do I judge too much based on appearance or status? Am I teaching my children to love others regardless of how they may appear? Do I remember that we are all in this together and that kindness is the most important thing you can do on this earth? Am I brave enough to stand up and defend someone who might need defending?

I hope the answer to all of these would be positive, but just in case they aren't, I am making a conscious effort to be better. I try to listen to those little promptings for good and kindness and act on them right away. I try to tell my children not only do I love them, but they are good and kind and smart.

So I recommend you run out and read this book, because hopefully it can help you to want to be a better person too. A definite Read.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Yes, I loved this book...it was great!